We are searching an CAE/CFD structural and/or computational analysis engineer with ideally a proofen track-record in the offshore and maritime engineering field (or NAVAL engineering).
You will be responsible to simulate and analyze complex mechanical structures (truss, beams, welding structures) and sensors for advanced offshore structures and equipment. You will use FEM and CFD methods to calculate and optimize equipment for robustness and performance under various environmental loads, such as wind, waves and other loads created through connected equipment (i.e. motors). You will optimize for stiffness, structural integrity and for manufacturability of large truss-like and welded structures and ideally you will have a vision on how to automate large-scale computational optimizations with current COTS (commercial off the shelve) and Open Source Tools.
You will apply your expertise also to the design of structural sensor elements of high-precision mechatronic systems in which material specifications and geometry have to be carefully optimized to fulfill specific response functions for force-, position and vibration measurements.
You will be part of the "Motion compensation crane design team", which develops our new motion compensation offshore crane for the offshore wind sector and will also contribute to advanced sensor development for various other maritime robotic projects.
You will conceive and plan structural and CFD computational designs with tools such as PTC-Creo, Ansys, or COMSOL. You will be responsible to carry out functional testing and verification on manufactured (sample) parts of equipment and based on measurement findings will iterate the designs closely with the mechanical design engineers. You will be responsible to carry out studies for material selection, design for performance and design against production cost.
Moreover, you will continue to learn about novel structural and finite-element based optimization methods (and potentially computationally efficient CFD methods).
We look for driven team-players that enjoy to continuously learn and that will thrive in challenging and complex projects in high-tech automation and robotics. We all love to build and optimize equipment that actually works in most challenging environments.
Following bullets give an indication of your background and skills that will make you suitable for applying. The more fit, the better:
- Completed B.Sc. study in mechanical or structural engineering, naval engineering, aerospace engineering or in computational mathematics
- Completed M.Sc. study in the above fields or in physics
- Ph.D. degree in computational physics, advanced material science, mechanical engineering or in precision engineering
- Solid understanding of structural design and optimization methods
- Solid understanding of structural design with FEM
- Experience with topology optimization and advanced parametric optimization in FEM studies is considered an asset
- Experiences in the application of 3D CFD tools for flow and structure interaction
- 2 - 5 or more years relevant experience in structural analysis and design and optimization (please describe in your application, preferably submit some examples of designs and structural optimizations you have performed)
- Skilled with PTC Creo / CATIA / Solid Edge / Ansys / COMSOL / PATRAN / IDEAS is considered an asset
- Experienced with PDM/PLM tools for work organization
- Good mathematical understanding as required for calculus to dimension fasteners and welds
- Experiences with the structural design and calculation related with advanced materials (CFRP) is considered a strong asset
- Good understanding in materials related with strength and fatigue and selection of appropriate materials for a given equipment
- Ideally, experience in CAD/CAM for offshore and maritime applications with proven track-record
- Background/Study in Aerospace Engineering
- You love to learn
What's in it for you?
Next to a highly competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you to be part in one of the most up-comming robotics companies in the Netherlands. You will become part of a dynamic and friendly team of experts that share their passion in developing cutting-edge technology that solves pressing problems of the industry and of society (targeted at building robotics for a sustainable future!).
We guarantee that you will work on the most challenging, interesting and leading-edge technology projects in the maritime, offshore and transportation sector.
If you are unsure whether you are suitable for this position, please don't hesitate to contact us either via info(at)deltaxlab.com or by phone via +31(0)629243959 and to discuss your ambition and background with us.
If you are sure that you are the right candidate and if you look forward to work in our Laboratory, please send your CV, Cover Letter and Project Portfolio to info(at)deltaxlab.com
The DEADLINE for applications to this post is on 31 October 2019, NOON (EST)